Laser hair removal is often used for purely cosmetic reasons. However, there are also some medical reasons as to why it may be necessary. For instance, if someone has a hormone imbalance that leads to excessive hair growth, particularly in women, they may need it. Additionally, hair may need to be removed before surgery to prevent infection, although this is more commonly done through shaving.
Hair removal is also required for cultural and social reasons. Women traditionally remove hair in their armpits and legs, because they believe it makes them look better. Men remove their facial hair, or style it, for the same reason. Sometimes, hair removal is even required for religious reasons.
Different Types of Hair Removal
There are two main types of hair removal, being permanent and temporary. Hair growth starts underneath the surface of the skin, which means permanent hair removal must address this. If it is simply a case of removing visible hair, any type of depilation (removing hair from the surface itself) is sufficient but temporary. Permanent removal is known as epilation, which means the root itself is removed as well. Both can be achieved through various different methods.
Someone who wants to have their hair removed permanently has a variety of methods to choose from. Picking between these methods depends on a variety of factors, including their budget and how much time they have available. However, knowing the available options will assist you along the way towards making that decision. Some of the most commonly found methods for permanent and temporary removal include:
- Electrolysis hair removal
- Hair depilatories and removal creams
- Hair growth inhibitors
- Ingrown hair treatments
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal can be delivered in a variety of different ways as well. Each method has a number of notable differences, as well as having different pros and cons. It is for this reason that you must spend a little bit of time doing some research before you decide which one to go for. Most good laser hair removal systems are offered by cosmetic clinics and require multiple treatments. However, you can now even purchase DIY laser hair removal systems.
The Advantages of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal has a number of clear advantages. These include:
- It is a very safe method of removing hair, so long as it is done by a qualified and specialized professional.
- The results are very long-lasting, sometimes even being completely permanent.
- The treatment method can be used in any area, including large areas. Hence, it can also be used by men who have excessive hair growth on their back or chest. Women, for instance, can use it for their leg hair. The entire area can be completed in a single session.
- Compared to procedures such as electrolysis or waxing, laser hair removal is almost completely painless.
The only downside is that you will usually have to return for a few sessions to really rid yourself of all the hairs.